Read below for news on:
- A Perspective on the District’s Work During COVID-19
- Baltimore Beyond Graduation Virtual Round Table
- The Fund Welcomes Kathy Caballero
- Of Note; News and Updates
A Perspective on the District’s Work During COVID-19
Over the past few months, the Fund for Educational Excellence has expanded its ongoing commitment to working with and supporting Baltimore City Public Schools as the COVID-19 pandemic forced the rapid transition to distance learning and a pivot to supporting families with urgent needs like food and technology.
Spending long hours with district leadership on a critical task like this naturally lends itself to moments of reflection. In our most recent blog post, Kevin Leary, Senior Program Director at the Fund, shares his perspective on the district’s expanding role in supporting communities through the pandemic, the challenges ahead, and the need to recognize the incredible work of district staff on behalf of students and communities. Click here to read more.
Spread the Word: Baltimore Beyond Graduation Virtual Round Table
On August 27th, Bmore Ready, the college-and-career-readiness program managed by the Fund for Educational Excellence, will bring together recent Baltimore City Public School graduates for the Baltimore Beyond Graduation Virtual Round Table, a panel discussion and Q&A to advise current high school students.
Held in partnership with Baltimore City Public Schools’ Navigator Center, Baltimore Beyond Graduation will help current high schoolers understand their different college and career options, ask questions, and hear experiences and perspectives to inform their futures. Baltimore Beyond Graduation student panelists will have taken a variety of post-high school pathways, including four-year college, two-year college, and trade school. Their insights and first-hand experiences will serve as helpful guidance to students who, like them a few years ago, are now considering their choices for after high school.
The roundtable is free and open to the public. Spread the word to students, educators and families! To register, visit https://ffee.org/baltimore-beyond-graduation-virtual-round-table/.
Welcome, Kathy Caballero
The Fund for Educational Excellence is happy to welcome Kathy Caballero as our new Human Resources Associate! Kathy is responsible for payroll and benefits, and provides support for other HR projects. Kathy comes to the Fund with more than six years of nonprofit HR experience as well as having taught fourth grade prior to that. Welcome, Kathy!
Additional insights, updates and resources.
- ICYMI: The Fund for Educational Excellence recently invited students, teachers and principals to share their perspectives on how they are leading, working and learning through the COVID-19 pandemic. Their thought-provoking ideas and insights can be found here.
- Share the Love: The Heart of the Schools program is still accepting messages of appreciation for our city’s incredible school leaders. Have a story or message of thanks for the principal in your community? Send it to us here.
- Spread the word: Baltimore City Public Schools has created a one-stop informational resource for families who want to receive, replace, or return computers and hotspots this summer. Find it here.
- Preparing to Reopen City Schools: A draft of the district’s plan is available here. To give feedback on the plan, join the next Reopening Townhall for families on Thursday, August 6 on City School’s Twitter, Facebook, or Youtube.
- Dr. S’ Perspective: Earlier this month, Dr. Sonja Santelises spoke with Pod Save the People about reopening schools and other challenges educators are facing. Listen here (47:00 mark).